Police on Thursday arrested a 27-year-old man during a raid of his fortress-style home in Nicosia in connection with drug offences and the recent death of a 35-year-old man.
The raid was carried out together with the counter terrorism unit at the home in Anthoupolis, which authorities said resembled a fortress with cameras and security doors.
Police said the suspect, who has not yet been named, had five additional arrest warrants pending against him in connection with drug offences. His house was designed in such a way to prevent anyone from going in without being noticed.
Drug squad chief Stelios Sergides said the suspect allegedly supplied drugs to young kids and his “actions were a danger for public health and safety”.
The man was also wanted in connection with manslaughter over the death last week of a 35-year-old whose lifeless body was found in a field on the Anthoupolis-Ayion Trimithias road with a syringe next to him.
Sergides said police entered the house by breaching a window and a wall after the suspect had refused to let them execute a search warrant.
Officers found cash, narcotics and jewellery inside. They also seized security cameras, which had been pointed towards public areas outside.
The suspect had tried unsuccessfully to get rid of the drugs by burning them in a fireplace.