Only around 50 doctors have expressed interest so far in working as specialists under the National Health Scheme (Gesy) of the 1,700 the government was hoping for, reports said on Tuesday.
According to daily Politis, some two weeks after registrations opened for specialists, only a small number have expressed interest.
The Health Insurance Organisation (HIO) expects the registration of 1,700 specialists including state and private sector doctors, the daily said.
Registration will be open for three months.
The government has in mind alternative scenarios to fill gaps if necessary.
The health minister said a few weeks ago that around 250 doctors had registered so far to work as general practitioners (GPs) under Gesy, which is half the required number. HIO had said that the numbers had exceeded government expectations.
The head of the state health services organisation (Okypy) gave reassurances last week that the first phase of Gesy will be launched as planned with the introduction of outpatient care on June 1.
Contributions for the first phase of Gesy begun as of March 1.
The introduction of outpatient care – phase two – is expected to roll out on June 1, 2020.