Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Funds to digitise newspaper archive dating back to 1878

he Press and Information Office (PIO) director Sophia Michailides (right) signing the contract

The director of the Press and Information Office (PIO), Sophie Michaelides, signed a contract on Wednesday for the digitisation of 500,000 pages of PIO newspaper archives dating back to 1878.

The contract was signed with company S. Kaniklides Ltd, in view of preserving the historical content for use by future generations, and allowing direct access to the digitised archives to students, researchers and the public.

The PIO newspaper archives date back over 140 years, and contain Greek, English, and Turkish language newspaper publications published in Cyprus.

The value of the contract amounts to €302,617. The project is expected to be completed within ten months.

The European Regional Development Fund covers 85 per cent of the cost of the digitisation project, while the remaining 15 per cent are covered by financial contributions of the Greek and Cypriot states.

The results of the project will be presented to the public in a conference scheduled for January 2020 in Nicosia.

Related Posts

Lack of interest in EastMed pipeline ‘worrying’

Elias Hazou

Petrol stations association in the north threatens to close its pumps

Sarah Ktisti

Meeting Friday to look at ways to reduce electricity bills

Elias Hazou

Survey shows people in the north are not happy

Andrea Charalambous

MPs hope to pass bill to support refugees before recess

Staff Reporter

Firefighting fleet to be reinforced with four new aircraft

Christodoulos Mavroudis