A planned indefinite strike by workers at Limassol bus company Emel that was slated for Tuesday will not now go ahead after they reached an agreement for the return of some of their work benefits slashed during the financial crisis, CNA reported.
The drivers had threatened strike action last month. Sek and Peo unions said the company had been obliged, from January 1 2018, to return the wages and benefits slashed in 2014. The amount includes 14th salaries and overtime.
The unions said that if the company did not fulfil the contractual obligations outstanding since the beginning of last year, strikes would resume. They said the Emel workers were not claiming new increases but only wanted to be reimbursed for the benefits they lost in 2014, and emphasised that they “have shown tremendous tolerance and responsibility of their own volition but have exhausted all the room for dialogue”.
CNA reported that following intensive consultations during the week, both with Emel and with the ministry of transport, a first agreement was reached on the reintroduction of benefits.
Following the development, it was decided to suspend the indefinite strike, while all employees will be informed of the agreement at a general assembly to be held at the Peo building in Limassol on Tuesday evening.