Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Measures planned to counter summer’s increased fire risk

All relevant government departments are rushing to prepare for what the Interior Minster, Constanstinos Petrides said on Wednesday he expected to be one of the most difficult fire seasons so far this summer.

Speaking after a meeting with the justice, defence and agriculture ministers and all services and departments involved in the prevention and tackling of fires, Petrides said that preparatory measures are already underway to tackle the heightened danger of rural fires.

The increased risk comes as a result of the proliferation of undergrowth across the island due to the extraordinarily wet winter. This undergrowth will dry out come summer, leaving swathes of land covered with fuel for fires.

According to Petrides, a total of 3,875 fires erupted last year, some of which could have caused major damage to forests and surrounding communities had it not been for the appropriate preparation and readiness of all parties involved.

“Today we requested that all departments prepare themselves for the heightened dangers of this year,” Petrides said, noting that additional urgent measures will be implemented to meet the level of danger.

A follow-up meeting will be held within 15-20 days, he said, to assess the development of preparatory measures.

Related posts

Record sing-a-thon to help raise funds for St Paul’s

Gina Agapiou

Two month free trial for berthing at Ayia Napa

Gina Agapiou

German oncology centre helps treat 5,000 patients in Limassol

Evie Andreou

State rapped over plan to extend use of official fleet

Elias Hazou

Woman gives up after 24-hour standoff in Tseri

Staff Reporter

Remand renewed for night club shooting suspect

Staff Reporter