Cyprus Mail
Crime

Discovery of cement block raises hopes of finding third suitcase

The discovery of a cement block in the Mitsero red lake on Tuesday has raised hopes of locating the third suitcase connected with one of the two murder victims of a self-confessed serial killers who are still missing, fire chief Marcos Trangolas said on Wednesday.

Investigations will now focus on the area in the toxic lake where the cement block was found.

Trangolas said the cement block is “totally connected” to one of the three suitcases and this boosts the morale of the people searching the lake.

“We are continuing to look despite the difficulties because the third suitcase must be found. After finding the cement block yesterday, we believe we will also find the suitcase,” he said.

He added the cement blocks used to tie down the three suitcases had remained in one spot while the suitcases had moved around over time.

A diver went into the lake at around 11am close to where the block was found but he emerged around midday without having located anything.

According to police, the suspect told police that he killed five women and two children, disposing of three of the bodies in the red lake. Two have been recovered from there, a Romanian woman and her eight-year-old girl, both stuffed into suitcases.

Five of the bodies have been found so far. A search is also ongoing at Memi lake near Xyliatos for one of the remaining two victims, a six-year-old girl who was the daughter of the first victim found on April 14 in a shaft at the abandoned mine. The mother and daughter went missing in May 2018.

Trangolas was quoted later on Wednesday as saying the girl’s body might never be found though the search would go on.

Related posts

Morphou bishop stays mum over anti-gay statements

Peter Michael

Fire in Paphos villages partially under control

Staff Reporter

Money laundering reports ‘defame president and country’ (Updated)

Peter Michael

New law on court translations will have significant impact

CM Guest Columnist

Visits to Paphos restaurants down 10 per cent

Peter Michael

Napa mayor launches contest for construction of amphitheatre

Peter Michael