Cyprus Mail
Crime

Suspected serial killer remanded for another eight days (updated)

Photo: CNA Nicosia court

The 35-year-old suspect in the serial killings of seven people, five women and two girls, was remanded for another eight days by the Nicosia court on Tuesday.

Nicos Metaxas, an army officer, who police say has confessed to the killings, appeared in court without a lawyer and was wearing a bullet-proof vest amid tight security.

The suspect answered ‘no’ to a court question as to whether he objected to his further remand.

When the remand expires a week from Wednesday, the suspect is expected to be charged with the murders, kidnapping, abduction, rape, indecent assault, attempting to destroy evidence and obstruction of justice among others.

Police investigator Ioannis Yiorkadjis told the court a cement block was retrieved from the Mitsero red lake last week in the spot where the suspect had indicated he had thrown the suitcase containing the body of a Filipino woman. Two other bodies were recovered from suitcases in the lake, a Romanian mother, 36, and her daughter aged 8. Both suitcases had been weighed down with the same cement blocks.

Yiorkadjis told the court police were close to identifying where the blocks had come from.

He also said the suspect on May 18 expressed the desire to suggest some other scenes and had pointed to an open location in Nicosia where evidence was found that was directly linked to the cases and which has been sent for scientific examination.

So far, Yiorkadjis said, police had taken a total of 550 statements and another 70 were expected to help complete the case file, along with scientific examination on 427 items of evidence. Police were also awaiting results from tests on three vehicles belonging to the suspect. Forensic examinations are also ongoing to officially identify some of the victims as they were all badly decomposed. In addition to the two bodies in the red lake, two others were found at the bottom of a watery mine shaft and another in an open space near the Orounta firing range.

Telecommunications data is also still being evaluated as the suspect was active on social media under the name ‘Orestis’ and met at least two of the victims online.

Meanwhile searches are ongoing at the red lake for the third suitcase, and at the Memi lake in Xyliatos for the remains of a six-year-old girl, the daughter of the first victim who was found on April 14 in the mine shaft.

 

Related posts

Three arrests after man stopped with 9kg cocaine (updated)

Annette Chrysostomou

Missing man found alive and well in his apartment

Annette Chrysostomou

Local residents to stage protest to allow sunbeds on Lara beach

Staff Reporter

Man dies from West Nile Virus

Source: Cyprus News Agency

Varosha the main focus in Famagusta election on Sunday

Lizzy Ioannidou

Bank of Cyprus sells Nicosia Mall

Staff Reporter