The retrieval of a third body from the red lake in Mitsero earlier in the week justified the seventh remand of self-confessed serial-killer Nicos Metaxas for a further eight days on Thursday.
In the presence of the 35-year-old suspect, who appeared once again without a lawyer, police investigator Ioannis Yiorkadjis read out to the Nicosia district court the history and development of the case to justify the request for a further remand before the suspect is charged.
Yiorkadjis told the court that five out of the six bodies have that so far been found have been identified.
He noted that the police have collected 700 statements and will be seeking statements from 80 more people.
He added that scientific examination on 465 items of evidence are also expected to shed light on the case, while a fresh request for the disclosure of telecommunications data has also been submitted by the police.
The case began unravelling on April 14 when the first body, that of 30-year-old Mary Rose Tiburcio from the Philippines, was found in a mine shaft in Mitsero. The suspect’s confession to seven total victims, of which six bodies have so far been found, had justified the renewal of his remand in police custody which had by Thursday extended for 48 days.
The suspect is expected to be charged next Friday with the crimes of murders, kidnapping, abduction, rape, indecent assault, attempting to destroy evidence and obstruction of justice among others.
Also on Thursday, a post-mortem was carried out on the latest body recovered from the red lake on Tuesday, believed to be Maricar Valdez, who went missing in December 2017.
Citing sources, the Cyprus News Agency said the cause of death appeared to be a lethal contusion to the neck.
The autopsy was carried out jointly by Andreas Marneridis, a medical examiner for Scotland Yard, and local coroners Angeliki Papetta, Sofocles Sofocleous and Nicolas Charalambous.