A blast at the K Cineplex in Strovolos early Wednesday was caused by an explosive device, police have said.
Initial indications pointed to a short circuit due to renovations in progress as the cause.
The explosion caused a fire which damaged the main entrance and part of the building.
The fire services were alerted to the incident at 4.43am and responded with two fire trucks. The blaze was under control an hour later, at 5.40am.
“At this time we are doing everything possible to operate the cinema routinely at 5pm this afternoon and offer our customers the best service and cinema experience,” the cinema’s management commented.
Police are investigating.