The Nicosia district court on Friday issued a fresh eight-day remand for self-confessed serial killer Nicos Metaxas, allowing police to finally wrap up their investigation before the 35-year-old is charged.
Metaxas appeared for his eighth remand hearing unrepresented and under tight security, speaking only to say “no” in response to questions by the judge regarding whether he objects to his remand or if he has anything to say.
With authorities having found all seven bodies of the victims Metaxas has confessed to murdering to the police, lead investigator Ioannis Yiorkadjis requested that a final remand of eight days was granted to allow police to complete the finishing touches to their investigation.
Yiorkadjis told the court that so far 780 statements have been collected, with 70 more still remaining. Nine search warrants have also been issued, he said, with the police accumulating 476 pieces of evidence. Police are also waiting on results from the scientific examination of three vehicles belonging to the suspect.
Yiorkadjis added that six out of the seven bodies of five women and two girls have been identified. The post-mortem on the body believed to belong to six-year-old Sierra Graze, which was retrieved from lake Memi in Xyliatos on June 12, is to be conducted shortly, Yiorkadjis said.
On April 14 the first body, that of 30-year-old Mary Rose Tiburcio from the Philippines and mother of Sierra, was found in a mine shaft in Mitsero. They had been reported missing in May 2018.
The suspect’s confession to seven total victims, all of whom have now been found, had justified the renewal of his remand in police custody which had by Friday extended for almost two months.
He is expected to be charged next Saturday with the crimes of murders, kidnapping, abduction, rape, indecent assault, attempting to destroy evidence and obstruction of justice among others.
The first victims of the serial killer, according to his confession, Livia Bunea from Romania, and her daughter Elena Natalia, 8, were buried in Nicosia on Thursday. They went missing on September 30, 2016 but were not located until April 28 and May 5 respectively.
The second body found in the mine shaft on April 20 was that of Arian Palanas Lozano, 28, from the Philippines, who went missing in July 2018. Five days later a body was found in a well at the Orounta firing range, later identified as Kata Anou, a woman from Nepal who had not been reported missing.
The third body recovered from the Mitsero red lake was that of Maricar Valdez Arquila, 30, who went missing in December 2017 and was located only on June 4 this year.