A large fire at a factory in the industrial area of Strovolos which resulted in the death of one of the employees was almost certainly caused by an accident, police announced on Thursday.
When the fire broke out shortly before 9am, 10 people were in the factory, J.K. Switchboards, which produces electric generators.
One of the employees, Giorgos Athinodoros, 62, was welding, most likely near flammable material, which caused the fire, police said. He was described as an experienced employee.
Athinodoros, a resident of Lakatamia, died in the flames, while two other employees, both in their 50s, who were trying to help him, suffered from minor burns on their hands.
The fire service responded with nine fire trucks and 29 fire fighters and contained the fire before 10am, but could not save the employee. By battling the fires on all four sides of the building the fire fighters managed to prevent the spread of the blaze to other factories in the area.
The plant suffered extensive damage but the office space was saved.
Due to the fire Spyros Kyprianou road up to the Kalamios roundabout was closed in both directions but it reopened after an hour.
Plumes of smoke covered much of Nicosia in the morning but head of the A&E department at Nicosia hospital Andreas Eliades reported nobody was admitted to the hospital with respiratory problems.