Gesy operator HIO (Health Insurance Organisation) on Wednesday confirmed there had been a significantly increased interest by private doctors to join the national health scheme.
Reports said that the expression of interest by private doctors was such that there was currently a two-week waiting list.
Deputy head of HIO Andreas Papaconstantinou told state broadcaster CyBC that indeed, there has been increased interest by specialist doctors to join Gesy, but also from general physicians and paediatricians.
“This makes us especially happy,” Papaconstantinou said.
He added that there were currently 1,680 doctors registered with Gesy, including specialists, GPs and paediatricians.
At the moment, he said, the HIO was processing applications filed 20 days ago, adding that more have been filed in the meantime.
He said their initial predictions that there would gradually be interest by doctors has been confirmed.
On the other hand, however, he said caution was needed to protect the public from abuse of the system given how many doctors there are registered now.
“Everyone must deal with the problem of system abuse so that the scheme provides services to those who need them,” he said.
He was referring to unnecessary examinations and lab tests ordered by doctors but also other problems identified recently such as possible cooperation between doctors who joined Gesy with their colleagues who are not operating within the system.