Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Man dies in fire started by cigarette

A 75-year-old man died on Wednesday after a fire broke out in his home in Sina Oros in the district of Nicosia, police said.

The force was notified of the incident at around 2pm. The man, who reportedly was disabled, died in a fire that was apparently started by a cigarette, police said.

The flames did not spread to the rest of the home. The man was found by his wife when she returned home.

The authorities were trying to determine whether he died from the fire or if he had been incapacitated before dropping the lit cigarette.

Related Posts

People can change, the message as prison schools mark end of year

Gina Agapiou

Unions say government has backed down over minimum wage

Economic strategy designed to tackle future challenges

Kyriacos Nicolaou

Triumph for Cyprus in Birmingham

Anna Savva

Man jailed for 3.5 years for attempted rape

Gina Agapiou

Cabinet approves more funds for solar water heaters

Anna Savva