Health authorities in the north said on Wednesday no other patients have tested positive to Covid-19 other than the 65-year-old woman from Germany who is being treated at a special area designated for coronavirus patients at a hospital in Nicosia.
Five other persons tested negative, according to Turkish Cypriot ‘health minister’ Ali Pilli.
Pilli also said that special teams have disinfected all three hotels where the group of 141 German tourists who were on the same flight as the 65-year-old are staying. The three hotels in the Famagusta area are still in quarantine. The 141 tourists were examined and none of them had any symptoms, reports said.
The Germans are to be flown back home soon. An empty plane will be sent from Germany to pick them up from the airport at Antalya, Turkey.
Hoteliers, however, disagree with the decision to quarantine the three hotels for 14 days, arguing that one of them, Salamis hotel, has currently 800 guests. They argued that the other two, the Orkid and the Port View, were screened and there were no suspected cases.
Pilli said that buses from the Republic carrying out organised excursions are being sent back while entry to people from countries that have been declared by the Turkish Cypriot authorities as high-risk such as China, Italy, Iran, Iraq, South Korea, France and Germany are not allowed into the north.
He also said that health professionals were at the crossing points for screenings while the operating crossing points were disinfected on Tuesday and the same measure would be taken also on Wednesday. School buildings, other public spaces and mosques were also disinfected, he said.
Early on Wednesday a team of experts on public health arrived in the north from Turkey for consultations with Turkish Cypriot authorities.
Pilli said the experts had arrived from Turkey to assist health crews and experts.
Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci on Wednesday reiterated his message for calm, saying there was no need to panic urging everyone follow the measures instructed by experts.
In a video message posted online, Akinci also said there was no need to stockpile on food or medical supplies after Turkish Cypriot rushed to the supermarkets to purchase essential items such as toilet paper and disinfectants after the confirmed Covid-19 case was announced.
Reports said earlier in the day that a traveller from Istanbul who showed up at Famagusta hospital in the north late on Tuesday with a fever was being examined for Covid-19. The results of the test were expected later today.