Cyprus Mail
Football Sport

Spurs star Vertonghen’s family robbed at knifepoint

Jan Vertonghen's family was held at knifepoint as four armed men burgled his home while he was on Champions League duty with Tottenham

Jan Vertonghen’s family was robbed at knifepoint in their London home while the Tottenham Hotspur defender was on Champions League duty against RB Leipzig in Germany on Tuesday night, the BBC reported.

The report said police had confirmed that four men wearing balaclavas forced their way into the house while Vertonghen’s wife and children were inside.

“We have been supporting Jan and his family through this terribly traumatic time,” the report cited a Tottenham spokesperson as saying https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51895453.

“We encourage anyone who has any information to come forward to help the police with their investigation.”

The Metropolitan Police said in a statement that officers had attended a report of a burglary at a residential address in NW3 at 7:49 pm on March 10.

“It was reported four men wearing balaclavas, armed with knives, had forced entry to the property and stolen a number of items before leaving.

“Nobody was injured. The suspects had left the scene before officers arrived. There have been no arrests and inquiries continue.”

Vertonghen is the latest footballer to be targeted by criminals.

A house rented by Crystal Palace defender Mamadou Sakho in Wimbledon was burgled in December, while Arsenal players Mesut Ozil and Sead Kolasinac were attacked by carjackers in July last year.

Liverpool forward Sadio Mane’s house was burgled while he was playing a Champions League last-16 away tie against Bayern Munich in February last year.

Related Posts

Man City fight back to beat Villa and win Premier League title

Verstappen takes F1 lead with Spain win, agony for Leclerc

Everything up for grabs on final day as City close in on sixth title

Reuters News Service

Mbappe to stay at PSG

Chelsea’s injury problems ‘never stopped’, says Tuchel

Reuters News Service

Mercedes have not given up on title defence, says Elliott