Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Coronavirus: One more case identified in the north (Update 1)

Thirteen more cases of the coronavirus have been reported in the north, raising the total number to twenty, it was announced on Tuesday.

The cases concern tourists in the group quarantined in a hotel in Famagusta along with other tourists that arrived there on the same flight as a woman also from Germany, who was the first to be diagnosed with Covid-19 in the occupied areas, a week ago.

Since then, six more cases were diagnosed, four Germans and two Turkish Cypriots who had recently travelled to the UK.

Earlier in the day, another confirmed case was taken to hospital in Nicosia, where another six cases were being treated.  Reports said the health of the seven was good.

Three hotels the tourists were staying at in the Famagusta area in the north have been quarantined.

In the meantime, consultations were underway through the bicommunal Technical Committee on Health concerning some Turkish Cypriots who were on the flights that arrived on Monday evening at Larnaca and Paphos airports after the 6pm health certificate deadline for entry, and who were taken along with the rest of the passengers for a 14-day quarantine in Troodos.

Greek Cypriot head of the committee Leonidas Phylactou told Cyprus News Agency that he was in contact with his Turkish Cypriot counterpart and he has asked for the names of these persons. He said that the health minister has proposed that the Turkish Cypriots currently in quarantine, if they wish to, be transferred to the north through ambulances sent from the occupied areas.

One Turkish Cypriot student arrived on the easyJet flight from Manchester to Paphos while three more were on the easyJet flight from Gatwick which arrived in Larnaca at 7.30pm.

Authorities in the north are reportedly also arranging to repatriate some 150 students from the UK with charter flights to Tymbou airport. The students are expected to arrive to the island on Friday. Upon their arrival they will be put in a hotel for a 14-day quarantine, reports said.

The restrictions introduced between the two sides as regards crossing has created problems for people who live in the north and work in the south and also Turkish Cypriot cancer patients who receive chemotherapy at the Bank of Cyprus Oncology Centre.

The office of ‘foreign minister’ Kudret Ozersay announced later on Tuesday that patients being treated in the south would be allowed to cross as long as they present documents proving their appointments.
Those who need medicine from the south were asked to send their prescriptions by email to Ozersay’s office to be forwarded to the UN. Then they will get their medicines through Turkish Cypriot Red Crescent.
The head of the Help those with Cancer Association in the north Raziye Kocaismail had said that the demand by the Greek Cypriot side for a health certificate for those who want to cross to the south and the fact that anyone crossing either side of the divide will have to be isolated for 14 days had caused a great problem to cancer patients.

She added that between three to four cancer patients used to cross daily for chemotherapy at the BoC Oncology Centre, while there are others who are taking chemotherapy pills who also need to have check-ups at the same medical centre.

President Nicos Anastasiades had said on Sunday that exceptions would be made only for purely humanitarian reasons and after approval by the interior minister.

 

Related Posts

Pope’s visit ‘means the world to us’

Jonathan Shkurko

Coronavirus: Two deaths, 337 people test positive on Sunday (Updated)

Staff Reporter

Real or artificial: the tree debate continues

Antigoni Pitta

Famagusta project supports people with autism

Gina Agapiou

About 16kgs of rubbish removed from Yeroskipou beach

Gina Agapiou

‘Evagoras, the man I loved’

Paul Lambis