An investigation will determine whether the state-controlled Cyprus News Agency had fallen victim to a cyberattack, its director said on Saturday.
Though the agency had said earlier that its portal had been brought down by a cyberattack, Giorgos Penintaex said it was not yet certain.
He said the site crashed at lunchtime Friday during a wave of visits.
“There was initial suspicion that it was a cyberattack,” he said.
The matter was being investigated by the authorities in a bid to determine what happened. The case was reported to police and the cyber security authority.
“All necessary technical corrections will be carried out right after the investigation,” he added.
In the meantime, the agency has been publishing its reports through its Facebook pages — www.facebook.com/cyprusnewsagency and www.facebook.com/cnainenglish