Cyprus will keep having three-digit numbers of cases in the upcoming days, according to Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine and Infection Prevention and Control at the European University Constantinos Tsioutis, who also said there will be an increase in the number of hospital admissions and deaths.
“We are at a critical juncture right now because there is now a documented evidence of virus transmission in the community,” said Tsioutis, who is also a member of the government epidemiological team. “The Limassol district is on red alert and even in Paphos there is a spike in the number of cases.”
A night-time curfew was imposed in both Limassol and Paphos districts after 11 pm, Health Minister Constantinos Ioannou said on Thursday after a cabinet meeting.
The use of masks will now be obligatory in all areas, including open-air spaces, the minister said.
Tsioutis also said that the number of hospitalisations and intensive care units (ICU) admissions keeps increasing.
“Therefore, I can say we have not yet seen the full extent of the clinical effects of the outbreak in the last ten days.
“We are still at an early stage to clarify the extent of this second outbreak and it is still a little early to see if the measures announced last week are working or not.
“That is why additional measures had to be introduced today. But still we will not see a decrease in the number of cases before the end of this week,” he concluded.