President Nicos Anastasiades said that national authorities are in the process of committing the €5m that Cyprus pledged in support of the people of Lebanon, after the devastating blasts that hit Beirut last August.
President Anastasiades attended on Wednesday evening a videoconference, held at the initiative of the UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and French President Emmanuel Macron, with the participation of heads of states and government, heads of international organisations and NGO representatives. Cyprus pledged to donate the money during a previous videoconference on Lebanon.
In a written statement, deputy government spokesman Panayiotis Sentonas said that Cyprus` donation will be used towards rebuilding schools and hospitals affected by the blast, as well as for UN services working to rebuild the city.
In his intervention, the President referred to the solidarity the people of Cyprus have showed, collecting along with the government a significant quantity of humanitarian aid since the day of the blast until today. He assured moreover that Cyprus will continue to provide generous aid for Lebanon and its people.
This was the second videoconference held after the tragic incident in Beirut, aiming to take stock of the situation in Lebanon after the blast and the progress achieved so far, in relation to reconstruction efforts.
Participants also discussed the rebuilding of Beirut port and of surrounding areas, the financial and social situation in the country, as well as the long-term prospects of international support, the announcement concludes.