Two men, 25 and 22, were remanded on Sunday for eight days in connection with the murder of a 20-year-old man in Paphos last April.
The two suspects from Syria, who had fled to the north after the crime, were taken in court in Paphos after handed over to the authorities of the Republic on Saturday after efforts through the bicommunal technical committee on crime.
They were remanded by the Paphos district court for eight days.
The body of the victim, Jamal Alhadz, also from Syria was found hidden in a riverbed in the Chlorakas area last April. It emerged that he was stabbed multiple times following a fracas with other people.
According to earlier reports, one of the two who fled to the north is the husband of the woman the victim was accused of seeing and who is believed to be the perpetrator of the murder.
Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar’s office said that the two suspects had illegally crossed to the north in April and from there they travelled to Turkey where they were arrested and handed over to authorities in the north. Once in the north, they were sentenced to prison for illegal entry and, after they served their sentence, they were handed over to the Greek Cypriot side following a request through the technical committee on crime.
The same statement said that Turkish Cypriot authorities expect that in similar situations, the same constructive view and practice is expected from the Greek Cypriots regarding criminals and suspects who committed a crime in the north and fled to the south.
Nine other suspects, all from Syria, had been arrested in connection with the case. They were charged with murder and kidnapping for the purpose of bodily harm to which they pled not guilty. They were released on bail until the trial, set to start on January 18.