The bleak outlook for the island’s malls is unlikely to change anytime soon as Health Minister Constantinos Ioannou reiterated on Tuesday the coronavirus situation has not significantly improved.
Representatives from the malls met earlier the morning with Ioannou but the minister said a decision had not been reached.
“We are constantly re-evaluating the data and take decisions accordingly, as for the shopping centres, the owners have sent suggestions to have the measures revised,” he said.
Ioannou stated he had forwarded their suggestions to the government’s health advisory committee and if the experts recommended there be any changes, then the measures would be tweaked accordingly.
Last week thousands descended on shopping centres, fearful of missing out ahead of the new measures, which Ioannou said caused great concern.
With malls closed, large groups of people have been observed at other shops too, with some shops even rapidly moving to empty stores elsewhere.
The commercial sector has strongly criticised the government’s closure of many shops just as heavy traffic was expected during the Christmas period.
Businesses and employees have been vocal critics of the new measures which they say will financial cripple many in the already beleaguered sector. The malls are currently closed until at least December 31.