Cyprus Mail
Cyprus Featured

Coronavirus: December deadliest period since start of outbreak

ÅÑÃÁÓÔÇÑÉÁ ÂÉÏËÏÃÉÊÙÍ ÅÐÉÓÔÇÌÙÍ ÐÁÍ. ÊÕÐÑÏÕ ÔÅ×ÍÉÊh ÃÉÁ ÔÏ Sars2 ËÅÏÍÔÉÏÓ ÊÙÓÔÑÉÊÇÓ

The first half of December has seen the highest death toll from Covid-19 since the start of the outbreak in Cyprus in March according to the latest national surveillance report on coronavirus, released on Friday.

According to the latest health ministry data, 36 people of the 85 who died due to Covid-19 since the outbreak of the pandemic, died in the first 16 days of December. Another six people who had contracted the coronavirus also died in the same period, but their cause of death was not attributed to Covid-19.

“The number of deaths in December is 20 per cent higher than the number of deaths for the whole month of November,” the report said.

Between November 30 and December 6, 19 deaths of people with Covid-19 were recorded, the highest number from the beginning of the pandemic until today, amounting to 17 per cent of all deaths linked with coronavirus.

In total 32 of the 36 deaths for which Covid-19 was the underlying cause, were living either in Nicosia or Limassol (17 and 15 deaths respectively).

As regards cases, 4,425 were diagnosed between November 30 and December 13. The cumulative diagnosis rate during this period was 498.3 per 100,000 population. The median age was 36 years.

By place of exposure, just 1.2 per cent were imported with the rest 98.8 per cent locally-acquired.

A total of 665,112 molecular tests have been carried out as of December 13 which is 74,900 per 100,000 population.

By age group, most cases, 62.4 per cent, were people between 20 and 59 years, while 21.1 per cent concerned infants, children, and adolescents up to 19. Another 16.4 per cent were people over 60.

Among all cases diagnosed in the last 14 days, 2,373 were reported in the Nicosia district, 1,050 in Larnaca, 386 in Famagusta, 383 in Limassol, 121 in Paphos, while 112 either reside within the British bases or had a residence abroad, or concern people for which information was not available.

 

Related posts

Risking Turkish response, Cyprus to continue surveys in EEZ

Evie Andreou

Arrest after 28kg of shisha tobacco seized

Evie Andreou

Coronavirus: Mobile vaccination units in the mountains on Saturday

Evie Andreou

Coronavirus: Two deaths, 143 new cases (Updated)

Evie Andreou

Walking tour looks at the future of mining heritage in Cyprus

Eleni Philippou

Coronavirus: Investigation into virus chains in schools

Evie Andreou