President Nicos Anastasiades on Wednesday dismissed the proposals prepared by Turkish Cypriot leader Ersin Tatar earlier this month, saying they were a new attempt for a two-state solution.
The proposals were received by the president, who is self-isolating after testing positive for coronavirus, through the United Nations, a written statement by government spokesman Marios Pelekanos said.
Media reported the focus was on natural gas collaboration.
Tatar submitted the proposals to the UN’s Assistant Secretary-General for Europe, Asia, and the Americas Miroslav Jenča during their meeting on July 1, while two more were submitted on July 8.
Anastasiades notes with regret that the new proposals constitute another attempt to establish the “unacceptable narrative” of a two-state solution.
However, he added that he would be ready to discuss all the proposals, both those put forward by himself and those put forward by the Turkish Cypriot leader, provided that the dialogue takes place on the basis of the agreed framework for a solution, as set out in UN resolutions and Security Council resolutions.
During Jenča’s meeting with Tatar, the Turkish Cypriot leader presented his proposals for “the future cooperation of two states” under four pillars, and would submit two more, one on demining and one on immigration.
Tatar noted that the first of the issues concerned shared hydrocarbons exploration, second an electricity interconnecter with the EU through Turkey, thirdly joint solar energy projects and fourth, shared use of the island’s water resources.
“I expressed my readiness to advance this determination while maintaining our sovereign rights, equality and equal international status. I also asked the UN Secretary General to encourage Mr Anastasiades to consider our proposals in good faith,” Tatar had said.