An excavator has been employed as the search for Angelos Perikleous’ body continues, police said on Wednesday.
According to Limassol CID spokesman Costas Michael, the search for the 31-year-old’s body remains focused in the same area based on evidence obtained through testimonies and involves sniffer dogs and drones alongside police officers and civil defence members.
Michael added that an excavator was brought in and “is expected to help in case we find possible sites where the victim may have been buried”.
Efforts were stepped up earlier this week with a 25-member team widening their search across Mari, Vasiliko and Governor’s Beach in Limassol.
The police spokesman said that aside from the various tools and gun casings found on Tuesday, nothing new had been located yet.
He also stressed that despite the satisfactory testimony that saw the case referred to court, “police investigations continue, and will continue, with all the means and will we have until the body is found”.
Perikleous, 31, was reported missing on April 20. Police issued a missing person plea for help bulletin two days later.
He is now believed to be dead, and a 25-year-old man is facing charges of premeditated murder. His trial will begin on June 6.
Also to face trial are the main suspect’s 59-year-old mother, believed to have provided a false alibi for her son, and his 71-year-old uncle, who told officers his nephew held him at gunpoint and told him to help him hide Perikleous’ body.