Cyprus Mail
CrimeCyprus

Charges dropped against Russians in murder plot

police
File photo

Two men caught in a murder plot against an anti-Russian regime journalist will not appear in court, police said on Friday.

According to CyBC sources, the two Russians, 62 and 58, will not appear in court, after being arrested last week for conspiring to murder the Russian journalist living in Paphos.

The 62-year-old is a permanent resident of Cyprus, while the 58-year-old was visiting and was arrested at his hotel in Limassol.

The 58-year-old was initially reported to be the one who would carry out the crime.

According to the CyBC’s information from the attorney-general’s office, there was no sufficient evidence against the two suspects.

The 62-year-old will be released, while the 58-year-old will be deported.

They had been expected to appear in court on Friday.

According to the information available to the police, the intended victim and suspect had a wide range of issues between them including political and financial disputes.

Follow the Cyprus Mail on Google News

Related Posts

Government employment increases by 5.2 per cent in January

Souzana Psara

Three arrested in north for selling Repubilc’s scratch cards

Tom Cleaver

Phone alert system delayed for another year

Nikolaos Prakas

Wolt drivers in Larnaca strike over working conditions

Jonathan Shkurko

New hospital in Polis Chrysochous possible, says minister

Jonathan Shkurko

Alpha Bank pledges commitment to Cyprus economy in meeting with president

Souzana Psara