Tuesday’s meetings with the leaders of Egypt and Jordan will be “decisive” in Cyprus’ effort to create a maritime corridor to provide humanitarian aid to Gaza, President Nikos Christodoulides said on Monday.
Speaking to journalists following the Cyprus chamber of commerce and industry (Keve)’s annual general assembly, he said “a great effort is being made, and it is being recognised.”
“You saw yesterday, I was in Larnaca with the Americans, we are in contact with the European Commission, with France, with neighbouring countries,” he said.
He added that “it seems unfortunately that this unacceptable situation, with the war, will drag on”, and called for civilians to be protected.
“This must be the priority, and we want to be ready, if and for as long as this situation is perpetuated, to be able to implement the role we say we want to have, a role we are highlighting through specific actions and initiatives,” he said.
Pivoting to the matter of a potential appointment of a United Nations Envoy to Cyprus, he said he could not yet name the person who was to be appointed.
He did, however, say “she comes from a Latin American country, she is a lady, and we are awaiting developments. I think the Secretary-general will make an announcement this week.”
Earlier, Turkish Cypriot Leader Ersin Tatar had said during his visit to Kyrgyzstan that he would accept the appointment of a “personal representative” rather than an envoy to resume talks on the basis of a federal solution.
Asked about the fact that he had been invited to a social event with Tatar, Christodoulides said, “I am always open to any invitation and meeting with Tatar. I have invited him repeatedly for discussions and to meet socially. I don’t have anything to worry about.”
He also reacted scornfully to questions surrounding “visible and invisible” actions to be taken in response to alleged Turkish Cypriot violations in the buffer zone near Ayios Dhometios.
“I see the irony from some … about the invisible and the visible. I invite those who are deriding the matter to visit the area. They obviously didn’t go there and they obviously didn’t talk to anyone who lives there,” he said.
On the matter of the camera which has been placed atop a house by the name of “Maria’s house” or “Neriman’s house” in the buffer zone, he said “it is certainly there, it is unacceptable, it is a violation, but at the same time, we, as we always do, are acting within the framework of our own possibilities, and doing what we can do to make the safety of the residents a priority.”