A 28-year-old man was remanded for five days by Paphos district court on Sunday in connection with an online banking fraud investigation.

The case was reported to police in February by a 49-year-old man who said he had received a call on his mobile phone which displayed the name of an online bank where he held an account.

According to the police, the caller told the man that attempts were being made to gain unauthorised access to his bank account and asked him to provide his personal banking credentials.

After providing the information, the 49-year-old later discovered that more than €6,800 had been taken from two of his bank accounts.

Police subsequently secured an arrest warrant for the 28-year-old.

He was arrested at Larnaca airport on Saturday while attempting to leave Cyprus.