Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

New programme for a sustainable marine and fisheries sector

ΥΠΟΥΡΓΟΣ ΓΕΩΡΓΙΑΣ ΔΗΜΟΣΙΟΓΡΑΦΙΚΗ ΔΙΑΣΚΕΨΗ ΠΑΡΟΥΣΙΑΣΗ ΕΠΙΧΕΙΡΗΣΙΑΚΟΥ ΠΡΟΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΟΣ ΘΑΛΑΣΣΑΣ
Costas Kadis presents the new programme

Agriculture Minister Kostas Kadis on Thursday presented the Operational Programme for marine, fisheries and aquaculture for 2021-2027, a paper indicating projects that will be co-financed by the European maritime, fisheries and aquaculture fund.

The programme aims at financing projects in the field of fisheries, with an emphasis on the support of small-scale coastal fisheries, projects in the field of aquaculture and in the development of coastal areas at the initiative of local communities.

It has a total budget of €54.7 million of which 70 per cent will be funded by the European Union and the remaining 30 per cent will be made available by the Republic of Cyprus.

The programme will be implemented through the four priorities that entail the promotion of sustainable fisheries and the restoration and conservation of aquatic biological resources; the promotion of sustainable aquaculture activities, processing, and trading of fishery and aquaculture products while contributing to the Union’s food security.

It also encourages the sustainable blue economies in coastal, island and inland areas, and promotes the development of fishing and aquaculture communities and lastly, the strengthening of the international ocean governance and ensuring safe, protected, clean seas and oceans subject to sustainable management.

The implementation of the programme is expected to achieve the objectives of the common fisheries policy whose goal is to ensure that fishing and aquaculture activities are environmentally sustainable and managed in a way that brings about economic and social benefits along with continuous food availability. Furthermore, the programme is expected to benefit approximately 2,500 individuals, more than 700 companies, will maintain 1,000 existing jobs while 35 new companies and 100 new jobs will be created.

The programme was approved by the cabinet in March and was officially submitted to the European Council on March 30.

Follow the Cyprus Mail on Google News

Related Posts

Turkish Cypriot leader condemns political exploitation of Mosque vandalism

Jonathan Shkurko

Row over Vasiliko terminal deepens

Jean Christou

UK aid reaches Gaza via Cyprus maritime corridor

Jonathan Shkurko

Fire in Liopetri burns one hectare of unharvested crops

Staff Reporter

Legal Service questions timing behind anti-corruption spat

Andria Kades

Auditor-general files opposition proceedings

Andria Kades