The 75 people wanted in connection with last week’s clashes at Pournara will be deported without a doubt, Interior Minister Nicos Nouris said on Wednesday.
Though Cyprus aims to help and support people arriving to the island, “we demand from them to show respect to our country,” he said.
The minister added that clashes at Pournara are completely understandable in light of the existing living conditions and stressed that the incidents have spurred the government to speed up the €1.2 million fencing around the migrant reception centre.
“What happened in Pournara should come as no surprise. It is a result of the overcrowding. The fact there is such a large concentration of people at the centre is the cause of these problems,” Nouris told reporters.
On Friday, clashes broke out and fires were lit at the overcrowded reception centre for migrants, necessitating authorities to break up the fighting with tear gas. Twenty people were injured and 75 arrest warrants were issued on Tuesday, following an arrest last week with four other warrants pending.
Nouris said there were discussions on taking more measures to combat the problems at Pournara and its conditions, as well as ensuring the security of neighbourhoods, starting with Kokkinotrimithia due to its proximity. There will be more police patrols and improved lighting, he noted.
The government is also rushing to fence off the highway as migrants have torn part of it to go through. Works are already set to begin with the Nicosia sewerage board to improve sanitation, Nouris added.