Five apartment blocks in the internal refugee settlement areas in Latsia are to be demolished in October, after an announcement was made on Friday by the interior ministry.
They will be demolished within the scope of the government’s “Ktizo” scheme for those living in dangerous refugee housing units, with the government having begun the tender process for their demolition.
The buildings are located in the Apostolos Andreas settlement and are among 20 which have been earmarked for immediate demolition.
Latsia mayor Christos Pittaras had updated parliament’s refugee committee on Tuesday regarding the buildings’ situation, saying that two Ktizo beneficiaries had at that point remained in the buildings.
He said they had been given until Wednesday to leave, and the interior ministry confirmed on Friday that all five buildings had been fully evacuated.
At the same meeting, senior officer of the town planning department Irene Yiannakou said there are a total of 43 buildings which will be demolished as part of the scheme, with just over half of Ktizo beneficiaries having taken up what is offered through the scheme.