The interior ministry sought to clarify on Friday that the Kouklia community leader had not been sacked, as media reported the previous day, but he has been sidelined in a bid to restore order.
In a written statement, the ministry reiterated that for some time there has been tension between the head of the council and its members, including threats and accusations, which even got the police involved.
Despite appeals for calm and cooperation, the situation got out of hand, affecting the council’s operation.
To date, the ministry said, no budget has been submitted, despite the deadline being November 30, 2020, preventing the council from being able to make any payments.
With public interest in mind, the minister authorised the Paphos district officer to exercise the community leader’s duties, the statement said.
Similar decisions had been made in the past, it added.
The two sides have been at loggerheads over financial issues and have also lodged complaints with the police while the audit service is looking into the case.