President Nicos Anastasiades said on Sunday he expects to be informed by the UNSG’s special envoy on Cyprus, Jane Holle Lute, what the UN are willing to do with a view to determining the framework and the common ground for talks on the Cyprus problem.
In statements to members of the press on Sunday and asked what he expects from his forthcoming meeting with Lute, who is expected to visit Cyprus soon, Anastasiades said: “I expect to hear what the UN are willing to do, so that we go back to all those determined by the UN resolutions, and determine the framework and the common ground that will be based on the international law and the Secretary-General’s mandate.”
Asked if it is possible for a five-party meeting on Cyprus to take place, given the violations by Turkey in the fenced-off area of Famagusta, the president said that “this will become clear by the positions and the actions of the Turkish and the Turkish Cypriot side.”
Our position, he stressed, “is that we are determined, on the basis of what has been agreed, on the basis of the UN resolutions and always within the Secretary-General’s mandate, to proceed to a fruitful dialogue, so that we can live together peacefully, with political equality and respect of human rights.”
Cyprus has been divided since 1974 when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third. Repeated rounds of UN-led peace talks have so far failed to yield results.
Varosha, the fenced-off section of the Turkish occupied town of Famagusta, is often described as a ‘ghost town’.
UN Security Council resolution 550 (1984) considers any attempts to settle any part of Varosha by people other than its inhabitants as inadmissible and calls for the transfer of this area to the administration of the UN. UN Security Council resolution 789 (1992) also urges that with a view to the implementation of resolution 550 (1984), the area at present under the control of the United Nations Peace-keeping Force in Cyprus be extended to include Varosha. On October 8, 2020, the Turkish side opened part of the fenced area of Varosha, following an announcement made in Ankara on October 6. Both the UN Secretary-General and the EU expressed concern, while the UN Security Council called for the reversal of this course of action.