This video is meant to expand your general knowledge about living a healthy life and is NOT a substitute for seeking medical advice. Please consult with your doctor before making changes in your health practices, diet and self-care.
In this video, Family Medicine physician Dr. Sanaz Majd answers the most common questions she gets asked regarding calcium and calcium supplementation, including:
- How much calcium do we need?
- Is it okay to get all our calcium from a supplement?
- Which type of calcium supplement is best?
- Should calcium be avoided by those prone to kidney stones?
- What about the risk of cardiovascular disease?”
- Should we take calcium with vitamin D?
- Do certain calcium supplements contain lead?
Calcium is a mineral with several important functions. These include:
- Helping to build bones and keeping teeth healthy
- Regulating muscle contractions, including heartbeat
- Making sure blood clots normally
A lack of calcium can lead to rickets in children, and osteomalacia or osteoporosis in later life.
View the original video here.
Good Living is the Cyprus Mail’s portal of curated content from across the internet, showcasing local and global ideas, cultural highlights, and scientific and technological developments to inspire a sustainable life.