A 44-year-old man referred to trial at the criminal court for a hit-and-run fatality in Paphos earlier this month will remain in police custody until the start of proceedings on February 3, the district’s deputy police chief Michalis Ioannou said on Tuesday.
The suspect had been remanded in custody for six days in relation to the traffic collision which led to the death of a pedestrian.
Androulla Papachristoforou died in Paphos hospital shortly after she was admitted.
Police believe she was hit by two vehicles – the first leaving her dazed on the road, where she was then hit by a car driven by the 44-year-old.
Police are still looking for the driver of the first vehicle.
Ioannou said the case file had been sent to the attorney general’s office where it was decided that there were adequate grounds to prosecute. He appeared before Paphos district court on Monday and was referred direct to trial before the criminal court on February 3. The court however reserved judgement until December 30 on whether he should remain in police custody.
On Tuesday however, the court asked that he appear before it where it announced that he should remain in police custody until the start of the trial.
The accused faces charges of manslaughter, causing death by dangerous and reckless action and abandoning the scene of an accident.
He denies the charges and says he was not driving the vehicle involved in the collision on the night of the accident.
As relatives grieved the woman’s death last week, one of them broke into her house in Kato Paphos and stole a number of items. He has also been arrested.