A post-mortem has confirmed that a 17- month old infant rushed to Limassol Hospital on Wednesday, had choked to death on food, the Cyprus News Agency reported on Thursday.
The infant was at the house of a 35-year-old woman who though a kindergarten teacher, did not have a licence to look after children in her home. He was rushed to Limassol Hospital, but doctors were unable to revive him.
State pathologists Angeliki Papetta and Orthodoxos Orthodoxou who carried out a post-mortem on the infant on Thursday, attributed his death to suffocation from obstruction of the airways with food.
Police are continuing their investigations into case and the file, once completed, will be sent to the legal office of the Republic for instructions.
Earlier on Thursday, the deputy ministry of social welfare clarified that the woman supervising the child was not registered as a home child minder. The social welfare services are in contact with police to contribute to the investigations.
“Parents are urged to examine the registration licence to work as a child minder of people who care for their children, so as to ensue that all the required preconditions for the safety of their children are met,” it said.