Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Restaurant fire ‘started from kitchen’

xefoto fire

A fire which gutted a restaurant in Nicosia’s Laiki Yitonia on Monday started from the kitchen and may have been caused by the overheating of cooking oil, fire service sources said on Tuesday citing the results of investigations in cooperation with police.

They said that because of the severe damage caused, the exact cause of the fire has not been determined and remains unknown, “without ruling out the possibility the fire started from the overheating of cooking oil.”

The fire service had responded with four fire engines after being notified a little before 3.00 pm on Monday that a fire had broken out in a restaurant in the old town of Nicosia.

The “huge” blaze, as it was described by an eyewitness, was burning for over two hours.

xefoto fire 1

The affected business, the Xefoto restaurant, was established in 1983 near Eleftheria square, featuring Cypriot cuisine.

The fire had started as kitchen and other staff were making preparations for the evening.

Everyone managed to get out of the restaurant before the fire spread and no injuries were reported.

Before it was put out around 5.20pm, the fire caused extensive damage to the restaurant, as well as two adjacent buildings.

xefoto fire 2

Photos Christos Theodorides

Related Posts

Driver arrested after fatal collision in Limassol

Gina Agapiou

Coronavirus: Health ministry plans to put a stop to profiteering on self-tests

Gina Agapiou

Akamas landowners call for ‘rational development’, proponents on both sides of debate protest in Paphos

Gina Agapiou

Justice minister tests positive for Covid

Gina Agapiou

Anastasiades to attend Nato dinner in Madrid next week

Gina Agapiou

Cypriots need ‘more knowledge’ about cost of food waste, survey finds

Sarah Ktisti