Additional doctors will be brought in to staff the accident and emergency department at Larnaca general hospital, Health Minister Michalis Hadjipantelas announced on Wednesday.
Following a meeting at the state hospital in the presence of the board of directors of the state health services organisation (Okypy), the minister said they took some decisions with the aim of upgrading the health services offered at the district.
“Decisions have been taken today and we expect them to be implemented in the coming days,” he said.
The accidents and emergency department will be staffed with additional doctors while an A&E director from a different district will be transferred there “to practically strengthen the unit”.
Furthermore, the old hospital will be transferred to a new wing by the end of the year, Hadjipantelas said.
“I have been presented with the plans and timetable and it is expected that by the end of the year they will be moved to the new buildings.”
The minister added officials and staff are “satisfied” with the operation of the ICU at the hospital. Anaesthesiologists also attended the meeting.
They made some suggestions the ministry will implement “so that the Larnaca Intensive Care Unit has nothing to envy from other districts,” Hadjipantelas said.
The hospital came under scrutiny last month with authorities investigating after a 43-year-old mother of six died at the Larnaca general hospital’s ICU following reports there was a delay in admitting at the accidents and emergency department.