Despite the heavy rains of the past few days, Limassol did not face the issues it had in previous years thanks to its new anti-flooding works, mayor and Limassol sewerage board head Nicos Nicolaides said on Tuesday.
In a written statement, Nicolaides conveyed his sympathy for those affected by the recent floods in Larnaca and Famagusta, pointing out that Limassol managed to avoid flooding and damage to properties, especially in the city centre.
“This is thanks to the partial completion of the anti-flooding works we have planned and promoted in recent years, which have already begun to contribute to the more effective anti-flood protection of the areas that previously suffered from these phenomena,” he said.
However, this does not mean that the risk of flooding has completely passed, he added, renewing an appeal to citizens to continue taking all preventive measures, such as cleaning gutters near their properties and making sure no objects are left exposed.
The Limassol mayor said that the two major flood control projects currently being carried out in Limassol, with a total budget of approximately €30 million, are expected to be completed by the end of 2023.
He also said that apart from those projects, the municipality and the sewerage board are constantly promoting other smaller local interventions to improve stormwater management.
Finally Nicolaides said he believes the public works department will expedite the anti-flooding works deemed necessary in some areas of Franklin Roosevelt Avenue.