Cyprus Mail

Work on Liopetri fishing shelter to begin


In one of the largest infrastructure projects related to the fishing sector, President Nicos Anastasiades will lay the foundation stone for the Liopetri fishing shelter upgrade project on Sunday.

According to the Department of Fisheries and Marine Research, implementing the upgrade of the Liopetri fishing shelter has been a long-standing request of local professional fishermen.

The work is expected to be completed in November 2023 at a total cost of €11 million.

The works at the fishing shelter, which will have a capacity of 112 boats, include the construction of wooden wharves, a boat lift and launch ramp, a boathouse, as well as storage areas for professional fishermen.

“The main objective is to upgrade the fishing shelter into a modern, safe and organised workplace for professional fishermen,” the department explained.

While the construction of the fishing shelter is underway, projects in the surrounding area will also take place.

The department said that these additional works will contribute to the protection and promotion of the natural environment of the Potamos area, becoming more attractive for any visitors, and offering them various services and alternative ways of recreation.

The various infrastructure projects will include a fishing education centre, a space for hosting cultural events, a pedestrian path, a bicycle path and parking areas.

The cost of the work amounts to €11 million and is co-financed by the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund 2014-2020, with 75 per cent of funding being derived from European resources, with the remaining 25 per cent being provided by the Republic of Cyprus.


Follow the Cyprus Mail on Google News

Related Posts

Unearthing Cyprus’ significant sites

Paul Lambis

‘North shows zero tolerance to organised crime’

Tom Cleaver

All four suspects in Kalogeropoulos murder remain in custody until their trial

Jonathan Shkurko

Larnaca artist sets out to beautify her neighbourhood

Iole Damaskinos

Traffic cameras record 164 violations by police, some fines still unpaid

Jonathan Shkurko

Greens call on public march in solidarity with Palestine on Sunday

Iole Damaskinos