Cyprus Mail
EuropeWorld

US monitoring large Serbian force along Kosovo border -White House

aftermath of shooting incident in kosovo
Kosovo police officers patrol, in the aftermath of a shooting incident, in Banjska village, Kosovo September 27, 2023. REUTERS/Ognen Teofilovski

The United States is monitoring a troubling Serbian military deployment along the border of Kosovo that is destabilizing the area, the White House said on Friday and called for the forces to be withdrawn.

White House national security spokesperson John Kirby told reporters that Kosovo’s peacekeeping force is going to be increasing its presence of Nato forces in northern Kosovo as a result of the tensions.

Kosovo authorities said police fought around 30 heavily armed Serbs who stormed the Kosovo village of Banjska on Sunday and barricaded themselves in a Serbian Orthodox monastery. Three attackers and one police officer were killed.

The gunbattle has prompted new international concern over stability in Kosovo, which has an ethnic Albanian majority and declared independence from Serbia in 2008 after a guerrilla uprising and a 1999 Nato intervention.

Kirby said the attack was not a random one and that the amount of types of arms that were found represent a threat not only to Kosovo personnel but international personnel, including Nato troops.

“Everyone involved in this attack needs to be brought to justice,” he said. He called on Serbian authorities to assist in the investigation into what happened.

Kirby called “a large Serbian military deployment along the Kosovo border” a destabilizing development and called on Serbia to withdraw those forces and contribute to lowering tensions.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken earlier on Friday spoke to Serbia’s president by phone to convey US concerns, and White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan spoke with Kosovo’s prime minister to discuss the events and stressed the importance of dialogue, Kirby said.

Meanwhile, the United Kingdom’s Ministry of Defence has transferred command of an army battalion to Nato so it can provide support in Kosovo if required, it said on Friday.

“Due to the current situation in Kosovo, we have transferred command of the 1st Battalion of the Princess of Wales’s Royal Regiment – a reserve force for Nato’s Kosovo Force (KFOR) – to Nato so it can provide support if required,” they said in a statement.

Follow the Cyprus Mail on Google News

Related Posts

Hunter Biden hit with federal charges for evading tax,

Reuters News Service

US criticizes Israel on Gaza civilian toll as UN to hear ceasefire demand

Reuters News Service

Amnesty: Israeli attack that killed Reuters journalist, wounded others must be investigated as a war crime

Reuters News Service

US expresses support for Guyana’s sovereignty amid border tensions with Venezuela

Reuters News Service

Ukraine to make shells with US firms as it seeks to develop defence sector

Reuters News Service

Hundreds more Palestinians killed as Israel pursues Hamas in south Gaza (Update)

Reuters News Service