Health Minister Michalis Hadjipantelas is reportedly expected to submit a proposal for the administration of an anti-Covid 19 booster shot for all adults, it emerged on Saturday.
Amidst concerns regarding the worsening of all epidemiological indicators in the country, state broadcaster CyBC reported that the health minister will submit a proposal to cabinet on Monday for the administration of third dose to people aged 18 and over who have received their second dose six months previously.
Cyprus Mail sources revealed the proposal was not made by members of the health ministry’s epidemiological team.
The surge in daily coronavirus cases have led to increased hospitalisations with the state health services Okypy drawing up an action plan for state hospitals, CyBC added.
Okypy spokesman Charalambos Charilaou told radio Trito earlier in the day that the biggest issue concerns the occupation of a large number of beds by non-Covid cases, citing a rise on season infections.
According to the recent national epidemiological report, there has been a 39 per cent increase in the 14-day cumulative diagnosis rate in covid cases, with Paphos and Famagusta recording the biggest rise.
Most cases were reported among children and teenagers from 10 to 19 years bringing the median age of the cases to 35 years.
Regarding hospitalisations, the report said that as of November 10, some 75 people were treated for coronavirus at state hospitals, of them seven were in the ICU.
Recent health ministry data said that 80 per cent of the adult population has received the first dose of an anti-coronavirus jab as of November 3, while 82.3 per cent of adults had completed their vaccination.