Cyprus Mail
FootballSport

‘Absolute disrespect:’ Ronaldo disputes Ballon d’Or ‘lies’

premier league manchester united v manchester city
PSG and Argentina star Lionel Messi won his seventh Ballon d'Or on Monday night, with five-time winner Cristiano Ronaldo voted sixth

Cristiano Ronaldo has hit back at comments made by Ballon d’Or organiser Pascal Ferre, saying the editor-in-chief of France Football “lied” about his rivalry with Lionel Messi.

Ferre told the New York Times that Manchester United forward Ronaldo’s sole ambition was to retire with more of the awards for the world’s best player than Messi.

Argentine Messi, who joined Paris St Germain on a free transfer from Barcelona during the close season, beat Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski and Chelsea midfielder Jorginho to claim a record-extending seventh Ballon d’Or award on Monday night.

Earlier this week, Pascal Ferre, the editor in chief of France Football – organisers of the Ballon d’Or – said Ronaldo had told him that his primary ambition was to retire having won the accolade more times than rival star Messi.

“Today’s outcome explains Pascal Ferre’s statements last week, when he said that I confided in him that my only ambition was to finish my career with more Ballon d’Ors than Lionel Messi,” Portugal international Ronaldo posted on Instagram.

“Pascal Ferre lied, he used my name to promote himself and to promote the publication he works for.
“It is unacceptable that the person responsible for awarding such a prestigious prize could lie in this way, in absolute disrespect for someone who has always respected France Football and the Ballon d’Or.
“The biggest ambition of my career is to win national and international titles for the clubs I represent and for the national team in my country.

“The biggest ambition of my career is to be a good example for all those who are or want to be professional footballers. The biggest ambition of my career is to leave my name written in golden letters in the history of world football.”

Ronaldo was absent from Monday’s prize-giving event in the French capital.
The 36-year-old, who was a second-half substitute in his club’s 1-1 Premier League draw at Chelsea on Sunday afternoon, hit back at claims that his non-attendance was due to quarantine, while dismissing any suggestions of poor sportsmanship.

“And he (Ferre) lied again today, justifying my absence from the gala with an alleged quarantine that has no reason to exist,” continued the player’s Instagram post.

“I always want to congratulate those who win, within the sportsmanship and fair play that have guided my career since the beginning, and I do it because I’m never against anyone.
“I always win for myself and for the clubs I represent, I win for myself and for those who love me. I don’t win against anyone.”

Related Posts

Giggs in court for alleged assault trial

Press Association

Haaland shines and Ronaldo distraction – what we learned in the Premier League

Press Association

Transformed Kyrgios completes Washington double

Reuters News Service

Haaland double earns Man City 2-0 victory at West Ham

Reuters News Service

Ten Hag era at United begins with defeat to Brighton, Brentford snatch point at Leicester

Reuters News Service

Jorginho penalty earns Chelsea narrow opening-day win at Everton

Reuters News Service