Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Rape charges dropped against former municipal councilor

The attorney-general’s office has stayed the prosecution of a former municipal councilor and one-time Disy candidate for MP who had been charged with rape.

Back in April Andreas Ttaouxis had been accused by a woman of raping her. She made the allegations after seeing that he was running in May’s parliamentary elections. The alleged crime was said to have taken place on January 1, 2011.

The attorney-general gave the green light to the police to submit the case on May 7.

Ttaouxis, who withdrew his candidacy, pled not guilty in court.

In a statement on Thursday, and following the dropping of the charges against him, Ttaouxis said the outcome “signals the end of a difficult ordeal, and I feel vindicated.”

He added that the legal outcome confirms his position, namely that the motive behind the rape allegation was to tarnish his name and reputation.

Follow the Cyprus Mail on Google News

Related Posts

100-year-old ‘beaten’ by carer at care home

Tom Cleaver

‘Cyprus is not ready for gay marriage’

Nikolaos Prakas

Larnaca airport ‘in world’s top 20’

Tom Cleaver

Open wing at prison to open by month’s end

Tom Cleaver

Government employment increases by 5.2 per cent in January

Souzana Psara

Three arrested in north for selling Repubilc’s scratch cards

Tom Cleaver