The bodies of two murdered women would not have been found if their killer did not admit to the offence, police chief Stelios Papatheodorou said on Sunday as the force announced they are looking for two more suspects.
Speaking at the holiday home in Kato Amiantos where the bodies of Alraeesi Khaiat, 43 and Mariia Gazibagandova, 33, were found at 2am on Sunday, he said “police had used all measures at their disposal in the last few days to locate the women but if you look at the surface and the depth you see it would have been impossible to find them without his help.
“Unfortunately the fears and suspicions of the police were confirmed,” he added saying that the case appeared to be coming to an end.
The 32-year-old Syrian suspect led police to the burial site at around 2am on Sunday morning after admitting during questioning that he had killed them. He had been in custody for about ten days after the women were reported missing on November 17.
Papatheodorou said the suspect admitted to shooting the two women and said he was the only one involved in the crime. “We consider that today he is telling the truth,” he added.
The bodies of the two women have been taken to the morgue at Nicosia general hospital where a full autopsy will be carried out on Monday.
Police said they are now looking for two more suspects believed to have helped the Syrian dig the hole in the ground and bury the women.
A 23-year-old arrested on Saturday night in connection with the case was released without charge.