Cyprus Mail
CyprusFeatured

New poll shows Christodoulides ahead in presidential race

former minister nikos christodoulides launching his campaign on thursday
Nikos Christodoulides launching his campaign

Nikos Christodoulides still has a considerable lead ahead of the February 2023 presidential election, according to a poll released by Alpha TV on Wednesday, which also showed a tight race between Andreas Mavroyiannis and Averof Neophytou for who would join him in the second round.

When asked who they intended to vote for in the first round, 33.1 per cent said Christodoulides, followed by Mavroyiannis at 12.5 per cent, Neophytou at 11.9 per cent, Achilleas Demetriades with 4.9 per cent and Christos Christou with 4.3 per cent.

The top five candidates are then followed by Constantinos Christofides (4 per cent), Giorgos Kolokasides (1.7 per cent), Marios Eliades (0.7 per cent) Christodoulos Protopapas (0.5 per cent).

The remaining 0.4 per cent said they would vote for ‘other’ candidates.

Moreover, 15.5 per cent of the respondents said they had not made their mind up yet, 5.3 per cent did not answer, 2.2 per cent said they will not be voting, and 2.9 per cent were recorded as void.

Regarding voting in the second round, Christodoulides again trumped both Mavroyiannis and Neophytou.

In a battle between Mavroyiannis and Christodoulides, the former would get 20.9 per cent and the latter 52.8 per cent. If it was Neophytou, Christodoulides would get 54.8 per cent and the Disy leader 16.6 per cent.

In the scenario where Mavroyiannis and Neophytou progress to the second round, the vote share would be 37.2 per cent for the former and 25.5 per cent for the latter.

Meanwhile, 41 per cent of those asked said that the most likely second round duo would be Neophytou and Christodoulides, 18 per cent said Mavroyiannis and Christodoulides and 17 per cent said Mavroyiannis and Neophytou.

For votes in the first round Christodoulides was shown to get 64 per cent of Diko votes, 46 per cent from Dipa, 40 per cent from of Elam, 39 per cent from Edek, 37 per cent from Disy and 13 per cent from Akel.

Mavroyiannis was shown to draw 56 per cent from Akel, 9 per cent from Edek, 5 per cent from Dipa, 4 per cent from Diko and 3 per cent from Disy.

Neophytou was shown to draw 39 per cent of Disy’s vote share, 9 per cent from Diko, 4 per cent of Elam, 4 per cent from Diko, 3 per cent from Edek and 1 per cent from Akel.

Asked who they expect to win, 36 per cent said Christodoulides, 29 per cent Neophytou and 7 per cent Mavroyiannis.

Meanwhile, 71 per cent of those asked said that Cyprus is moving ‘in the wrong direction’, 14 per cent said ‘neither the wrong or right direction’ and another 14 per cent said the ‘right direction’.

Lastly, responding to the degree that they are satisfied by current President Nicos Anastasiades, 34 per cent said ‘not satisfied at all’ and 36 per cent said ‘not so satisfied’, marking a total of 70 per cent dissatisfaction.

The remaining 22 per cent said they are ‘considerably satisfied’ while 6 per cent said they are ‘very satisfied’.

The survey was conducted by Rai Consultants Ltd between June 23 and 28, 2022 and included 1,006 telephone interviews from individuals aged 18 years and over who hold the right to vote.

Related Posts

Something rotten in the state of local veggies

Theo Panayides

Ineia landowners plan to block roads next Sunday to protest Akamas plan

Jean Christou

Debt restructurings slow down in 2022 following a record year

Body found on Paphos beach identified as Greek Cypriot aged 57 (Update 2)

Staff Reporter

‘EU has punished Turkey over invasion of Cyprus’ says EP president

Jean Christou

Fishing in Paphos is ‘borderline tragic’

Jonathan Shkurko