The first batch of conscripts arrived at National Guard enlistment centres on Monday, the start day of conscription, which will be completed on Friday. Conscripts will be assigned and transferred to their units immediately.
According to the authorities, assigning conscripts to the various units was conducted without human interference, through certified software that processed data submitted electronically by each individual on the defence ministry’s platform.
Defence ministry spokesman Christos Pieri explained that the processing time was completed within minutes because the electronic platform greatly simplified the process. In the past there had been many accusations of favouritism in the assigning of new conscripts to different units
Regarding draft dodging, Pieri expressed optimism. “It’s early to comment (on the figures of draft dodging) as we don’t have the data yet. The full picture will emerge in September. Having said that, I want to remind that last year we recorded our lowest levels ever at 2.9 per cent. And we should not refer to this figure as draft-dodging because some individuals included have serious health issues that do not allow for them to serve,” Pieri said.
Approximately 300 new conscripts per day are expected to sign up at the Nicosia enlistment center at “Christos Samaras” barracks in Athalassa.
The enlistment process will conclude on July 15, while a weeklong extension will be given those who have tested positive for Covid-19 and will not be able to join before the deadline. Enlistment also takes place in Larnaca, Limassol and Paphos.
Conscripts are expected to arrive with a valid negative rapid test and face mask.
“In case some find it difficult to carry out a test, we will have crews within the barracks doing just that,” Pieri clarified.