An electronic lottery for funding of motorbike safety equipment will be held after more people applied for grants than are available, the ministry of transport said on Friday.
Of the 2,629 applications received 153 were immediately approved as they relate to low powered motorbikes.
Meanwhile, the remaining 2,476 applications will enter a draw for the 547 grants available, based on the relevant budget for bikes that are above 11kw.
The draw will take place on Monday at 1pm and will be streamed live on the ministry’s Facebook page.
Winners will be notified by email.
Transport Minister Yiannis Karousos has previously expressed satisfaction with the keen interest shown by bikers.
“The scheme is part of the strategy and policies being implemented by the transport ministry in cooperation with the road safety council to improve conditions on the road network for the protection of all users,” he said.
It provides for a grant of €500 or the actual cost of purchase, whichever amount is smaller, for a motorcycle body airbag.
It is part of a three-year €1.05m programme that will in the future cover gloves and other protective equipment.