Cyprus Mail
Cyprus

Contract signed for study into urban mobility in Paphos

Υπουργός Μεταφορών – Τελετή υπογρ
Transport Minister Yiannis Karousos (centre) at the signing ceremony (PIO)

Transport Minister Yiannis Karousos on Thursday signed a contract for the provision of services to the development of a sustainable urban mobility plan in the Paphos district.

The preparation of the study will have a cost of €237,405 and a deadline of 14 months.

The project will be funded 85 per cent by the EU Cohesion Fund in the framework of a programme called ‘Competitiveness and Sustainable Development’. The remaining 15 per cent will be funded by the government.

The study will involve the municipalities of Paphos, Yeroskipou and Peyia, as well as 15 other communities in the district.

Along with Karouos, Paphos mayor Phedon Phedonos was present during the signing of the contract at the city’s town hall.

Sustainable mobility is a major objective to which Cyprus is committed as part as a broader green transition plan aimed at tackling climate change and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

“With the completion of the study, Paphos will take a major step that will bring the town closer to the implementation of projects and actions aimed at making it more sustainable,” Karousos said.

“A Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan will also contribute greatly to the development of tourism, as visitors nowadays prefer travelling to green cities that offer green and efficient public transport.”

Phedonos echoed the statements made by Karousos, adding that a Sustainable Urban Mobility Plan for Paphos will benefit locals as well as tourists.

“The study is an excellent opportunity for the town to develop in the way other European cities are doing,” he said.

“The study will show us which projects need to be carried out so that in the coming years our lives will become better and easier.”

 

Follow the Cyprus Mail on Google News

Related Posts

Cyprus fails to hail Greece’s same-sex marriage law

Nikolaos Prakas

Remands for drug smuggling case

Staff Reporter

Cyclist injured in crash

Staff Reporter

Cyprus has always provided

Alix Norman

Mysterious architecture of historical towers

Eleni Philippou

Limassol maritime firm facilitating sustainable shipping practices

Souzana Psara