Four people arrested in Paphos on suspicion of drug offences have been remanded in custody for eight days following a court hearing on Tuesday.

Police said the case began when officers stopped a vehicle for inspection, driven by a 28-year-old man and carrying two 32-year-old men and an 18-year-old woman.

During a search of the car and its occupants, officers found “a quantity of cocaine with a total gross weight of approximately one kilogram and 30 grams”, around 150 grams of cannabis, half a gram of methamphetamine and €3,060 in cash.

All four were arrested for offences committed in the act and taken to Paphos police headquarters.

The Paphos district court later issued eight-day detention orders against the suspects to facilitate ongoing investigations.

They face charges including conspiracy to commit a felony, illegal possession drugs, possession with intent to supply, possession of drug paraphernalia and money laundering.

According to information presented in court, the 28-year-old driver claimed that the cocaine and cannabis found in the vehicle belonged to him and that the other three suspects had no connection to the drugs.

Police told the court that multiple investigative steps have already been taken, including four house searches and eight vehicle searches.

Authorities have also recorded four statements so far, alongside approximately 40 additional statements from individuals within the suspects’ family and neighbourhood environment.

Further inquiries are ongoing, including checks with the labour and social insurance office to determine the employment status of the suspects and whether they receive state benefits.

Investigators are also seeking to identify the source of the drugs and any intended recipients, given the quantity seized.

A representative of the prosecution told the court that the seriousness of the offences requires a “full and proper investigation so that the truth may out”, adding that detention was necessary to prevent interference with witnesses or evidence.

The defence did not object to the detention request, and the court subsequently approved the eight-day remand.

Investigations into the case remain ongoing.