More than 13,000 couples have postponed their wedding in the last year because of lockdown measures, the association of professional event planners said on Monday, calling for the restart of the sector by April.
Businesses employed in the events sector have lost more than €350m since March, the association said in a written statement.
Demanding the health ministry to take their sector into consideration when deciding the gradual lifting of restrictions, the association said it is concerned that more couples will suspend or cancel their wedding.
“With the new lockdown several couples have postponed their wedding ceremony for the umpteenth time and others have expressed their intention to postpone it. Couples from abroad have already postponed their planned wedding ceremony and their travel to Cyprus, indefinitely,” the statement added.
The cancellation of weddings and other events also has a chain reaction impacting other sectors, the association said, including real estate and cars with the delay in the construction of a permanent residence, flight cancellations and the loss of sales in retail from the wedding guests.
Moreover, the businesses operating in the sector are considered seasonal as their turnover is calculated only between May to November with May and June being the most important months.
“If the cancellations continue, there will be no room for the viability of the industry,” which will also lead to the termination of the operations of the companies employed within the sector, the statement added.
The association said it is ready to discuss solutions with the health ministry that will enable the sector to operate after being inactive for such a long time while abiding by health protocols.